I apologize for how late this post has come out. I wasn’t entirely sure what I was going to do originally, perhaps talk about the E3 conference, but something tragic has happened over the weekend and it cannot be forgotten.
This is not my usual sort of post, but this is a cause that is near and dear to me. This is also cross-posted on my personal blog, Kris Poli.
I speak a lot regarding the need for diversity in not only video games, but all sorts of media — films, television, books, etc. People come from all sorts of places and are rich in backgrounds, appearances, ethnicities, sexualities, and shouldn’t be erased from media.
That goes for life too.
My heart is broken for the victims that were caught in the horrendous shooting in Orlando Florida’s Pulse club this past Sunday early morning. Sources have cited that the shooter had pledged allegiance to the terrorist group ISIS and was also a known homophobe and racist. This mass shooting has been the worst America has ever seen in its history.
In the wake of this crimes, I please ask you:
- Don’t forget the names of the victims who were tragically lost, ranging in ages from 49 to only 18 years old.
- Don’t forget the members of the LBGTQIA+ community who are struggling to remain strong in the aftermath of this horror.
- Don’t forget the members of the LBGTQIA+ community who do not have a support system to turn to, who are still in the closet and cannot properly express their grief and terror where they are.
- Don’t forget the amazing people who have gone in droves to donate blood in Orlando and have donated funds for the families of the victims.
- Don’t forget to stand up for what is right, to call out anyone who may utter hate against anyone else.
- Don’t forget that everyone — everyone — deserves to live a happy and safe life.
Finally, don’t forget that this country of ours was founded on freedom and equality. We will fight until that becomes a reality.